Well, it’s that time of year again. Time to loosen our ties, let our hair down, and take in the most epic cloud accounting conference to grace the southern hemisphere: Xerocon South 2016.
Did that sound sarcastic? Rest assured, it wasn’t—even if the words “epic” and “cloud accounting” rarely appear together. But the true fact is, when we set up shop at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre in early September for Xero’s three day event, and we couldn’t have been more thrilled. Since Kounta’s inception, we envisioned it as the hub of a business software ecosystem, and Xero was one of the first apps we integrated with. We saw from the beginning that a POS is exponentially more valuable when it plays nicely with third party accounting apps—and partnering with Xero made all too much sense. Our headquarters were separated by the Tasman Sea, but our apps both lived in the cloud. It was a natural fit.
But we weren’t just excited about this event because it was a chance to show off our wares to Xero enthusiasts. It’s the philosophical kinship we share with Xero that was essentially the mission of this event: empowering companies large and small (but mostly small, if we’re being honest) to take control of their businesses, leaving owners free to take control of their lives. We saw this vision throughout the lineup of speakers on the schedule:
- Day 1 opened up with a keynote from Trent Innes and Anna Curzon, the Managing Directors of Xero in Australia and New Zealand, respectively. Their topic of “Rewiring the Small Business Economy” demonstrated the same commitment we have to leveling the playing field for technology haves and have-nots.
- Later on that day, author Rachel Botsman presented her own session, “The Currency of the New Economy is Trust,” which focused on how mobile apps help foster more intimacy between people and businesses. The human element of business is something we never discount, and our goal has always been for Kounta to enable business owners to foster loyal relationships with their customers.
- Day 2’s lineup included “The Payment Olympics,” presented by PayPal’s Brian McDonnell. PayPal is another one of our technology partners, committed to making mobile payments accessible and available to all businesses. Cash just isn’t the king it used to be, and we’ve built mobile payments into the very foundation of Kounta.
- “Creating a Successful Digital Business,” presented by Greg Sheehan of RightWay, a digital accounting firm, shone a light on how professional service organisations can leverage cloud software to their benefit. At Kounta, we’re not just about facilitating our customers’ growth; we’ve also been focused on creating mutually beneficial partnerships with companies with expertise in our software.
- This year’s platinum sponsor was Commonwealth Bank, who partnered with us to create the world’s first all-in-one EFTPOS device, Albert. The friends of our friends are also our friends, and they exemplified this common vision of simplifying business management and operations.
Xerocon South went from September 7 through September 9, was packed full of information, discussions, and breakout sessions; we had a blast taking part in it. Even more gratifying were the many people who hit us up at booth 21 to see the ways Kounta and Xero can fit into any retail or hospitality business. It was Xero sum gain for everyone.
It was also cool to hear how so many of our fan made the rounds to talk with our partners. Those who attended sessions that left them wondering how to fully automate their businesses by integrating POS and accounting software with scheduling/time & attendance apps, the presence of our friends at Deputy (Booth 55) and Tanda (Booth 52) was super helpful. Each of those apps has some unique offerings, but both of them work seamlessly with Kounta and Xero. If you were curious about what it takes to install and support your business on multiple cloud apps, there were several Kounta Specialists and Xero Integrators who were in attendance: Zrilo (Booth 1), Rype (Booth 2), and SMB Consultants (Booth 5) all offer extra value on top of the software packages themselves, and we were gratified to learn that so many people wanted to hear what they had to say. Finally, for secure payment solutions that play well with Kounta and Xero, our partners at Tyro were over at Booth 81, and Commonwealth Bank had its own stand in the centre of the exhibit hall, right next to the juice bar.
Event Details and floor plan:
7-9 September, Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre